9-29-19 Ryan Elementary- Allie Bundy

Today I was moved to a 5th-grade class from my original class. The teacher was my 5th-grade teacher, Mrs.Saltz. The class was all very happy and very kind from what I observed. Today they were reading during the time I was there. When I came in it was a read aloud, then individual reading along with putting together a human heart. I sat with one of the boys in the class, as he read me a book. He was very excited to read and was very expressive while reading to me. He had read the book before but loved it. The book was about a boy who collected words, then used to use them in all different types of ways. He was in the hallways because he was overwhelmed in the class and needed a breather. and seemed to calm down after reading. All the students worked hard and were able to get time to read books they wanted. They all were very energetic and social. Many of them came up to me and asked about me and Centaurus. I did feel a bit lost when I first came in. I didn't know how to help or interact with the kids during induvial reading. Mrs. Saltz was very welcoming and helpful towards me, she asked me what I wanted to learn while in her class. The children really seemed interested in the human heart, and building it. Most of the kids I talked to, really enjoyed building it and taking it apart. Some of the kids had issues staying focused on the task at hand. They would get distracted by chasing a friend around or would want to move on rather than finishing their work. But they were able to refocus after being reminded of the task they needed to complete. At the end of class, they did a "community circle". Which is where they all sat down and said something they either were sorry about, appreciated or had an aha moment about. I thought this was a really great way to end the day, on a positive note, and I think it allowed the kids to feel like more of a community. I look forward to next week!
Holly Saltz

Comments


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wisdom From me to You

Distractions from School